Shrine to Humility
Videos and Quotes
- Brian Regan - The ME Monster
- David Foster Wallace - This Is Water
- Wellesley High School - You Are Not Special
- David Litt - The secret power of self-deprecation
- “John Bardeen won two Nobel Prizes in physics, and all who write about Bardeen remember him as a quiet and modest person. His hobby was golf, and many years after his second prize his long-time golf partner asked him, ‘Just what is it you do for a living’? Apparently Bardeen had never worked the two Nobel Prizes into conversations with his golf partner.” Hargittai, István. The road to Stockholm: Nobel Prizes, science, and scientists. OUP Oxford, 2002.
- “It is not hard to demonstrate that all the main threats confronting the world today, from atomic war and ecological disaster to a catastrophic collapse of society and civilization — by which I mean the widening gulf between rich and poor individuals and nations — have hidden deep within them a single root cause: the imperceptible transformation of what was originally a humble message into an arrogant one.” Václav Havel