Shrine to Humility
- “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” Bertrand Russell
- “John Bardeen won two Nobel Prizes in physics, and all who write about Bardeen remember him as a quiet and modest person. His hobby was golf, and many years after his second prize his long-time golf partner asked him, ‘Just what is it you do for a living’? Apparently Bardeen had never worked the two Nobel Prizes into conversations with his golf partner.” Hargittai, István. The road to Stockholm: Nobel Prizes, science, and scientists. OUP Oxford, 2002.
- “It is not hard to demonstrate that all the main threats confronting the world today, from atomic war and ecological disaster to a catastrophic collapse of society and civilization — by which I mean the widening gulf between rich and poor individuals and nations — have hidden deep within them a single root cause: the imperceptible transformation of what was originally a humble message into an arrogant one.” Václav Havel
- “The angel who demands heroism not only of himself but of others, who denies the value of compromise, who perceives the world with a Manichean simplicity and despises those who have a different concept of obligation towards others – this angel, loving heaven as he may, has already started on the path that leads to hell.” Adam Michnik
- “The end cannot justify the means, for the simple and obvious reason that the means employed determine the nature of the ends produced.” Aldous Huxley
- “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.” Richard Feynman